Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Some Savini

In recent times, I've come to somewhat of a conclusion about a horror movie hero of mine. Of course, Tom Savini is everyone's hero, but for a lot of people, Savini is a prick. Sorry to be so blunt. I could have used some of the other words people who have visited him at conventions have used.
I understand Tom's been in the business for a long time - answering the same fifteen questions over and over and over and over, but I've got a few words for you Tom: "Suck it up, sucka!" The convention goers pay your ticket. They put food on your table and allow you to be a washed up f/x guy from the 80's. While the aforementioned insult isn't a polite way to describe Tom, let's try to stick to the truth as much as possible.

It's 1985 - Savini is at the pinnacle of his career. He's finished work on some of the most mind numbing prosthetic special f/x ever constructed - which are seen is George Romero's 'Day of the Dead. He just stepped out of the box with Romero's Dawn of the Dead and into the filthy 80's with Sean Cunningham's Friday the 13th. There's a slew of other slasher films on the horizon - Maniac, The Prowler, The Burning - all this leading up to his reprisal as f/x man in Joseph Zito's supposed last installment in the Friday the 13th series -The Final Chapter.

Savini is on a roller coaster ride - Money, women and more gigs than he could shake his d/stick at. Rounding the corner from his last Friday the 13th job, he lands make up f/x guy on Day of the Dead (as I mentioned earlier) - rounding the corner and heading almost straight into Tobe Hooper's complete opposite sequel, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

Tom's burning the midnight oils. He's gaining gig after gig and keeping the partnership and friendship alive with George Romero. Even going into Romero's lackluster sleeper Monkey Shines, all is good in the world of Tom Savini. He's on top of the world. The computer generation has yet to burst into full bloom, but the slasher and gore craze WAS dying down, and so was Tom Savini's credits.

Over the past fifteen/twenty years, I'd be really hard pressed to find a worthy credit with Savini's name attached. Does Bloodsucking Pharaoh's in Pittsburgh really constitute a notable hand in the cookie jar? I'd hardly think so. Killing Zoe and From Dusk 'Til Dawn. - We'll let these two be his reprisal of sorts - living the life he lead in his 80's cloud of greatness, but only for a short time.

'Sex Machine', while hardly a big role, is nevertheless a character in one of the bigger and most popular movies of the nineties - From Dusk Til Dawn. Whether it gives room for greatness is another story, although, you have some fans who thinks 'Sex Machine' is pure and simply ''the shit''. They may be right. I'm not a big fan of Tarantino, so a biased judgment would probably hinder my thoughts on 'Sex Machine' and his fabled cult status just a bit.

For the most part, if Tom Savini wants to fornicate and have illegitimate children, thats fine by me. People have sex and one of the consequences of sex is children. Those pesky kids! Every time I visit Tom's page, there's a new addition to the family. Before you know it, Tom's going to have all the pint-sized Universal monsters running around in his home, with all the damsels of distress coming to pick them up on Sunday at six.

My main objective for this post isn't to dwell on Savini's faults. Lord knows I have mine. I sometimes do things that would make Tom cringe. If I were to tell him what's on my mind, he'd surely never bring himself to sit in front of a table with pictures of himself on it again. He'd call it quits for good. My main objective is to blurt about Tom's lack of interest when it comes to fans.

Tom is human. I understand this. He gets shit pains like everyone else. (I'm not going to mention child support payments) He gets sad, angry and even horny when he sees a barely 18 yr old girl swoon in his presence. Human, indeed.

All this aside, it's time for Tom to just call it quits if he can't tolerate the public. I know enough to know that if I don't like my job, it's not my customers fault.
If he's burned out on questions like 'How did you stick the arrow through Kevin Bacon's neck in 'Friday the 13th''? - or- ''How did you rip Rhodes in half in 'Day of the Dead?', it's just time to stop. Stop lowering yourself by appearing in movies such as Zombiegeddon. Can any good become of a film where one of the characters involved is a satire of Jesus Christ? People can say Savini's career is as good as it ever was. . . Let me correct you! "Wake up sucka!" - Anyone who appears in Zombiegeddon isn't living his/her dreams, I'll tell you that right now.
All this muck and mire still won't sway my opinion on Tom in regards to his cinematic work. Some of his work is and will always remain 'unbeatable'- although, there's many better works out there than Tom's 'mediocre' works - if that makes sense.

Bottom line: If you don't like kids running around in awe of you, give it up. If you can't take one last teenager in Manson make-up calling you God, give it up and find a different career. You're 60 now. It's time to take it easy and sip on Iced Tea and take your Xanax with the rest of the crew at Shady Pines.

Like I said, I love Tom, but he needs to become more tolerant of the public. I'm not saying he's an asshole at every convention, but in situations like this, when you agree to take the job, it's not your time anymore, it's the fans. Don't tread on the fans.

Does Tom deserve this kind of rhetoric? Rhetoric can be defined as what occurred throughout this post or - Rhetoric can be defined (in Tom's case) in one of his quotes: ''Are you going to buy the damn picture or not?"

It sound as if I particularly believe all the rumors. To tell you the truth, all the rumors spread by women are probably false. Well, not all of them. He probably did hit and run, but it sure wasn't rape. I'm sure there were no special promises either - only promises these women conceived in their own demented minds. So, with a hint of siding with Tom, I'll do it. I'll step across the fence and say that there will certainly never be another one. Another Tom Savini, that is. I never said anything about another illegitimate child.

No comments: